ENGLISH

Sutjeska
Sutjeska is one of Bosnia and Herzegovina's oldest parks. It is famous for the Partisan victory over the Germans in WW II and there are large stone monuments commemorating the event. The park itself is 17,500 hectares of magnificent and untouched wilderness. It hosts one of the last two remaining primeval forests in Europe, called Perucica. Beech trees tower over 60 metres high and endemic black pines stem from the rocky faces that protect the ancient forest. Skakavac waterfall can be seen from the look-out point – this seventy five metre plus waterfall is dwarfed by the massive blanket of green trees that cover the valley. The Sutjeska River has carved a stunning valley through the middle of the park and divides Zelengora (Green Peaks) Mountain from Maglic and Volujak Mountains. Bosnia and Herzegovina's highest peak, Maglic at over 2,386m, is located in the park, directly on the border with Montenegro. It presents a challenging climb for even experienced hikers. Zelengora Mountain is great for hiking and walking and there are several newly renovated mountain huts on the mountain. Bear and wolf sightings are common.

 

Hutovo Blato
Nature Park „Hutovo blato“ was established in 1995., it is situated on the south east Hercegovina on the left side of Neretva River on the territory of Čapljina and Stolac Municipality and occupies a surface of 7 411ha.Public firm was also established in 1995. with protection, improvement and the use of the space through sustainable growth of tourism, fishing etc. as main activities.There are 19 employees, 11 of whom are game wardens. Head quarters of the Park are in Karaotok, so as the other important services of the Park.Working time is every day from 7am-15pm, except for the weekends but certain serviceswork even during the holidays, for 24 hours. Game warden services do the regular checking of the territory.

 

Kozara
Kozara Mountain became a famous site after heroic battles for freedom in WWII and in 1947 the activities for allocation and creation of the Kozara National Park started. Forests of Kozara Mountain were declared the forests of historical significance on June 6, 1957 in order to preserve the memory of the epic Kozara battle. The preparations for declaring a part of Kozara Mountain a National Park started as early as 1959. With the main objective to preserve and protect numerous monuments made during the battles in Kozara Mountain, natural beauties and other landmarks of this region and in order to develop tourism and create better conditions for holidays and relaxation, the area was declared the National Park on April 6, 1967. The first written record about flora in Kozara region was made by a French explorer Ami Boué in his piece “La Turqui d’Europe” (1842) where he elaborated on the notable vegetation of Kozara region. During the Ottoman reign, a Prussian scholar Franz Maurer, travelled through Bosnia and passed by Kozara Mountain in 1868.  He published the diary of this journey in 1869 and in 1871, where the composition of forests, among other information, was mentioned. The first detailed study of flora in Bosnia and Herzegovina was conducted by Günter Beck Mannagetta from 1903 to 1927. In his book “The Flora of Bosnia and Herzegovina”, he mentioned several sites in Kozara Mountain. The research of flora was organised by the Botanical Sector of The Natural History Department at National Museum in Sarajevo from 1952 up to 1962, and several locations of Kozara region, which are nowadays fully or partially parts of the Kozara National Park, were included in the research. A special emphasis has been given to the protection of natural resources, so that future generations can enjoy the beauty of the Kozara National Park ever since it was established, nowadays especially.